In Which Our Hero Overexerts himself
So, obviously, I got hideously drunk last night - a just end to a crap day (see a post a lil' bit down).
It was a great evening actually. I was sitting in my room at about 5pm, just listening to music and thinking, when I noticed a third of the ol' bottle of bourbon lying around. And, as my grandfather shouted some kind of mild obscenity at an African-British presenter, my will failed and I started drinking. I managed to get through a family dinner appearing entirely sober and then launched on a "speed bar crawl".
The premise of this crazy deal is that of as many bars as possible, ideally spending only 15 minutes in a bar and attempting to pick up girls, play slot machines and get in a game of pool as quickly as possible. We succeeded in all these tasks as well as managing to purchase condoms which we wore on our heads and hands, like sexual trophies from some obscenely public athletic event.
I believe it was when we entered a wine bar we encountered our first true hurdle along the path to drunken Shangri-la.
Anyway, I ended up doing the "talking to a girl" part solo. I bartered some bracelets with her. Initially, with drunken grandeur, I assumed I would leave the deal resplendant in beads - the archetypal hunter/gatherer. Sadly, her haggling skills proved my undoing, taking my favourite two sets of beads as well as my phone number.
Following this were more bars, a very drunken and rather blurry phone call to Ruth and a train home.
Today, on the other hand, consisted of a lot of Ultimate Frisbee. I've not played in ages and the people I played with...
You've no doubt been watching the Olympics - use a defined gymnast as a basic, then imbue them with lightning speeed, God-like strength and the ability to run at speeds that border on the metaphysical - speeds more like Emotions that velocities. These guys were fit and hard and played a lot.
After today's practice I can't feel my legs, but I'm floating in that "post-exercise" euphoria that's embracing me like an old lover. Plus: I get overly metaphorical and wordy hence: this post.
Currently listening to: "Forever" - Ben Harper