This Blog has been closed down. Below are the archives and the final 2 posts.
Edit as of 26th October 2004
Archives back.

Thursday, July 15

Some Things I do which I shouldn't

This segment brought to you by the Amalgamated Society of Skeptics - A.S.S - and is in no way stolen from some New Zealander.

  • I drink way too much coffee. It's a peculiar experience, as you'd know if you've also done so. Generally I get the "am I an epileptic?" shakes and am unable to concentrate on anything or, alternatively, concentrate so hard I look up and 17 hours have passed and I'm covered in someones blood. Yeah.
  • I'm way too cynical. I tend to have these small rant sessions where I'll just off on a 10 minute tangent of cynicism. A good example of this when I recently went to see Fahrenheit. A guy wearing a black turtle neck and Gap Jeans came out the cinema and said, loudly, that "the sad thing is that 99% of the people here won't get the movie". I've lived in too English an atmosphere for too long to "say something" but the car ride home was an education in Cursing, Politics, My Views on People, That Guy Can't Drive Stupid Asshole, and George Bush. The sad thing was watching some of my friends attempt to dissect a scene where a woman had lost her son with sayings like "Well, Americans tend to whine about shit like that". I couldn't believe that someone who I regarded as a friend could say anything that stupid. Drove me into a cynical, black depression about doomed humanity.
  • I've a tendency to get random in order to defuse tense situations or when I'm bored or when it'll piss people off. Like ex-girlfriend Laura. Humour = defense mechanism. Generally, people like Bob and I tend to turn these short random musings into dialogues. These dialogues then lead us into strange situations where I'll find myself hiding in an alley covered in cellphane, and only in cellophane, while Bob attempts to convince a mime that there's a cute puppy in the alley he should go pet. Shit like that.
I just looked at the list and realised those are some of my best points.
I graduated yesterday. It was a nice, short ceremony where the highlights, from my mom's point of view, were :

  • Sir Ian McKellan was there receiving an Honorary Doctorate. He was funny, mentioning how he'd done no work for it and we'd worked hard for three years. And he enjoyed it all the more because of this. Also quoted a lot of Shakespeare.
  • I got to shake hands with Royalty. Princess Alexandra, to be exact. Thankfully, she didn't stop and attempt to talk to me as she did with many of the other students. It was bad enough attempting to mumble the British National Anthem, let alone knowing how to even address a Princess.

Personally I was just glad I actually own a degree now. Following this was an excellent Italian restuarant, 3 bottles of fantastic red wine and sleep. Photos as and when I get them.
More later - gonna have to go work at Teleconomy.

Currently listening to: "Front 2 Back" by Fatboy Slim