Like the beginning of a nuclear, world ending war you'll probobly hear the screams of the fallen, the cries of the damned, before you read Emily's reply on the blog. I'll post it though. Truth through a window, this blog.
For the first time ever I was attracted to a girl solely for her intellect. The girl was focused, a Phd student and studying Linguistics. We discussed whether our perception was affected by what language we spoke (i.e. Eskimo's having 8 words for snow etc.) and, strangely, the fact that English does not, in fact, have a future tense. I was intrigued and the argument does, in fact, make sense. I had drunk a whole buncha malibu and 4 beers but still managed to converse and use the terms "multisyllabic", "political environment" and "masculine gesture". But, and this is the important thing, I was intellectually totally outclassed. BY A GIRL. This wasn't a case of "Wow, this girl is intelligent", something that isn't that rare - this was "Goddamn, this girl is near genius". And this wasn't "Smart" - this was Intelligent. An entirely different breed of Elbow. And thus I was attracted to her. Granted, she was like 27, not all that attractive otherwise (physically: pretty good - personality: definite clash) and thus it was only platonic.
See: Having spent the night in the presence of Phd students, even when mildly drunk, tends to make me use words like platonic.
This girl is incredible. I usually don't read specific blogs regularly but everything she writes resonates somehow.
Edit: Out of interest, I did a quick check of my mp3s to see how many mentioned love in the title. 12. Twelve damn songs. I need a hobby. Another goddamn one.
Dark And Bright
"It's all about sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."
This Blog has been closed down. Below are the archives and the final 2 posts.
Edit as of 26th October 2004
Archives back.
Edit as of 26th October 2004
Archives back.