So I'm applying for a visa to travel and work in the US for a few months - a feat in itself, post September 11th. After applying, I receive a letter in the post stating that I "either ticked the appropriate box or indicated in some manner" that I had a previous conviction i.e. a criminal record and that they required more details.
I decide to contact the embassy via email (Phoning them: £1.30/min) and I type out an email to the consulate in London, explaining that I applied for a visa, received this letter despite having no criminal record and was wondering whether it would affect my visa application.
Their response, in it's entirety:
"Was the letter from us?"
I'm not anti-American in any way. There's no reason to be. But someone in that consulate needs to re-assess whether they are really employing the "best and brightest" to represent their country in a foreign land. I almost replied along the lines of "No, actually, I'm fairly certain this letter had all the bearings of a letter from the US embassy, including letterhead, date and this damn email address but is, in fact, from a cunning Iraqi agent, bent on denying me a visa and thus the US of A the tourism and workforce it rightly deserves."
I didn't.
Maybe I should have.
Dark And Bright
"It's all about sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made."
This Blog has been closed down. Below are the archives and the final 2 posts.
Edit as of 26th October 2004
Archives back.
Edit as of 26th October 2004
Archives back.